As I sat down waiting my delayed Royal Jordanian flight to Riyadh (which has become more common than on-time :S), my Orange 3G line was not working, the Wi-Fi networks around were useless and I had to somehow use my BlackBerry Zain JO phone to access the Internet on my Mac. Here is a quick HOWTO on tethering via USB cable:
- I already had BlackbBerry Desktop Manager installed, so it may or may not be a prerequisite.
- Connect your phone via USB
- Open Network Preferences…
- If not seen already click + to add a new connection and you will see your phone interface showing as BlackBerry-[Your PIN]
- Change Telephone Number to: *99#
- Enter “GPRS” in the Account Name & Password Fields
- Click on Advanced…
- Choose Vendor: “Research In Motion”
- Choose Model: “BlackBerry IP Modem (GSM)”
- Enter “zain” for APN
- Choose CID: 1
- Click OK
- Click Connect
Enjoy a better-than-dead connection!